Monday 28 July 2014

Digital and real farmer...

My latest craze over my mobile phone is a game called ‘Hay Day’! I think I’ve been playing it nonstop for more than the last month. At first I can’t say I was overly impressed. I found the graphics and theme nice but I didn’t think I could get hooked. I had the impression that I’d be bored easily due to the lack of storyline since the only thing you have to do is produce, harvest and sell your farm's products. But after building and expanding my farm to accommodate new types of livestock and vegetables / fruit, I find myself been drawn to it and keep going back. 


 

I’m not sure which experience level I’ve reached and the moment. I’m still trying to keep up with my ship orders and farm expansions. I can’t say that I have the most beautiful farm, but it’s functional and I although there are some micro transactions in the game to speed things up and buy beautifications for your farm, I haven’t caved in to do it.


On another hand, I’ve been having a very good harvest this year in real life so far. I first planting some vegetables when I moved in with JJ in his old place, some years ago and I got intrigued and kept doing every year since. This year in my new house, it was no different. JJ built a very nice vegetable patch on the right hand side of the garden. There, after seeding the vegetables in pots indoors I’ve transferred some courgettes, beans, lettuces and tomatoes outside.

 
The vegetable patch can be seen here on the left at the back of the house.
That photo was quite early on.

The size of the courgette!
 
One courgette - two trays of lasagne! 

Green salad from the garden to your plate.
 
Green Beans
 
For the time being we’ve tried beans, courgettes and lettuces from the garden and they’ve been amazing. From a single beans plant we got so many pods! We also got some massive courgettes which we’ve used in lasagne twice so far! I can never get bored of lasagne! We’re trying to use whole-wheat pasta, low calorie sauces, cottage cheese instead of ricotta and various vegetables or soya mincemeat instead of the real thing. The output might sound a bit bland, but it’s amazing. Believe me.
 
The tomatoes are still to come

 
I can't say that I completely know what I'm doing while growing the vegetables or tomatoes. I'm just going along trying to keep them slug free, water them regularly and add some extra plant feed to them from time to time. I have lost some of the vegetables because I didn't pay attention to harvest them in time. But overall I'm happy with the results and doing a bit of gardening is quite therapeutic from time to time. 

2 comments:

  1. there is no satisfaction than growing tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... Yes.
      Unfortunately we suffered a drawback last week. Some of the tomatoes plants snapped over their weight and we might lose them. I didn't properly planned to double tie them to their wooden supports! I hope that some will survive though...

      Delete