Monday 12 August 2013

Various holidays stories

I mentioned in my previous post about Paros, but I don’t think I mentioned some of the other things that happened during our holidays. For example I didn't mention the fact that I told JJ to drive on the wrong side of the road!

Yes, I did. The first morning we arrived to the island, there were strong winds and the water service to the beach wasn't operational, so we rented one of those 4 wheel motorbikes! I was so sure he would be driving on the wrong side of the road coming from England, so without really thinking and being on a motorbike without a proper driver’s seat, I told him to switch over and drive on the left! Thankfully, there aren't many cars in the town and most narrow roads are one way roads. However, after a while we ran into a car coming from the opposite direction, right at us! At first of course I though what is the idiot doing! And then it occurred to me who the idiot was!




Anyway, (changing subject quickly), another hilarious incident happened to JJ the day we were checking out from the hotel. He went to pay our room while I was still tidying things up. At this point I need to give you some background information. The hotel is run by a couple. He’s Chilean living in Greece for many years and she looked Greek, but I’m not familiar with her background. They've been living in one of the hotel rooms. Living in a small village on an island, things are pretty much totally informal. I don’t think I saw him once were shoes or even a t-shirt. She was normally dressed with cheap white V-neck t-shirts and sport track bottoms. She didn't take care of herself and chain smoked. Of course we didn't mind, since we hardly ever saw them during our stay.

So, the day arrived and JJ went to their room to pay. She went to get the credit card machine and as she bent over to grab it, one of her boobs fell out her t-shirt! When JJ was telling me this, I couldn’t stop laughing. She was either oblivious of the fact or did it on purpose and didn’t do anything about it. She was just waiting there, with her hanging boob, which probable never saw a bra in the last years, exposed. JJ tried and kept a serious façade. Kept looking her in the eyes, entered his pin number, collected the receipts and ran off! Knowing JJ who is generally very well behaved and proper (in most cases) that was an experience (boob job) never to forget!

After we left Paros, we visited Mykonos. We stayed there for a small number of days before flying back to London. During our visit there, we took an early morning boat and travelled to a nearby uninhabited island called Delos. That small island hosts the biggest archaeological dig site of Europe and one of the most important for the ancient Greek history. According to the myths it’s the birthplace of the god Apollo and Artemis. Their temples were very important, mentioned by the likes of Homer and a pilgrimage destination for many.

What you see from the boat upon arrival

A mansion of the time 

Exploring the ancient city

Apart from its major religious significance, it was a major trading port with tens of thousands of inhabitants at its peak. Its fame was such that the area had inhabitants from all over the existing world. To give you an idea, the town had a temple of the Egyptian Isis and a synagogue, the oldest one known. A very wealthy town of the times it is now an important dig site. A visitor now can still walk around the streets of the archaic town, see the temporary architecture, witness the existence of various shops, test the acoustics of the amphitheatre and admire the temples. I strongly recommend visiting Delos if you’re ever in that part of the world. It’s mind blowing.



Next to the dig site, on Delos, there’s a small museum. In there, a visitor can see original mosaics and statues of the area. So, we couldn't miss it. I was happily checking the exhibits with JJ, taking photos. We knew that no flash photography was allowed and we followed the rules. At some point I stood in front of a massive wonderful mosaic and JJ took a photo of me. One of the guards / archaeologists came and told me smiling that no posing is allowed. I laughed with him and asked him why? Am I so bad looking that I made the mosaic injustice? We didn't really pay attention and walked along. In the next room I stood in front of a massive statue of Hermes and JJ tried to take another photo!

Then, out of the blue, a mean looking woman starting yelling at us that no posing is allowed and since I was already told of this, I shouldn't break the rules and we would be kicked off the museum! I was gobsmacked! I switched and talked to her in Greek. Immediately her tone and attitude changed since she realised I was Greek. That fact didn't go unnoticed to JJ who was naturally annoyed. I admitted to her that I thought the previous guard was joking about the ‘no posing’ rule, since it didn't really make sense! I asked her the reason behind this and she didn't know. She just said it’s a museum regulation!

The temple of Isis

We didn’t let that event affect our feelings regarding the visit. Delos is utterly amazing and worth the visit. The boat trip with a tour guide lasts for half a day and doesn't cost that much. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the photo you by the "ass bust" too funny about the boobs. LMAO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was a triple A ass, almost perfection

      Delete