Thursday 13 May 2010

Lack of focus…

I have this feeling lately of running around in circles with no purpose, getting very tired on the way and not even accomplishing anything. I manage to live quite a busy life. Each day of the week is scheduled at least a week in advance with something that needs to be done.

running around in circle

Let me give you an example:Yesterday I went to the theatre, today I have gym with my personal punisher, tomorrow I have drinks with work, on Saturday I have to help a friend pack and move, on Sunday I have some goodbye drinks with a friend who’s leaving UK and on Monday I have to go for a drink / dinner with another friend I haven’t seen in weeks. I only hope to get some time on Sunday to rest, run some errands, cook a decent meal, do laundry etc.

Already I have plans for the next 5 days and I do not think that the rest will be left empty for long. My week days are like slots with the value of free on the start, waiting to be filled.

tired bear

I don’t want to complain about all that. I like living a social life, having a circle of friends and experiencing London with everything that has to offer. However, I don’t like the fact that I can’t accomplish some of the goals I have.

Unfortunately, I’ve discovered I’m not too fond of going running early in the morning (before work). I don’t mind going to the gym in the morning between 6:30 and 8 in the morning, but my leg muscles need more time to wake up. I feel cold running outside after waking up; I get too tired too easily that leaves me disappointed and grumpy. I like going running on the weekend around noon or in the evenings on week days. With the schedule I have though that is not easily done… I’m embarrassed to admit that I still haven’t done a proper run in May (OK, a trip to Barcelona and Brighton is a good excuse).

Apart from that, I want to start a course in Java and get a certificate (a SCJP to start with). I don’t have any experience in it since most GIS software does not use this language. However, I know how to work on other programming languages and I hope that a SCJP will help my CV. I bought the books to start some months ago but I still haven’t managed to work on it much. The plan was to apply to take the exams during June, but I don’t see that happening either. (Yes, you can take exams to become even geekier).

my childhood memories

I’m not used to be postponing things like that and I feel kind of disappointed with myself. Time flies by quickly. I fear that I will not train enough and I will get accepted to do the London Marathon… I also fear that 2011 will knock on my door and I will still have no clue on Java…

I have to come up with a schedule that I can follow. I’m already trying to pass the running bug to ‘JJ’ so that we can go running together. I have to allocate some of my days to staying home and study (easier said than done).

2 comments:

  1. Nik's Darlin,

    Java Programming can be very fun (although i prefer C++). Since u have learned some basic programming, i don't think Java will ever be so difficult for u!

    To learn the syntax is by practice, hours and hours in front of computer will help u with the certification.lol

    Next level J2ME for Bluetooth and RIM Blackberry Platform.

    Maybe it is time for you dear to start taking the right medication for ur tiredness syndrome. I start taking Spirulina (pls google) since i was 23 years old.

    Happy2 weekend for both of u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Suf_n_Steve I haven't worked with C++ either. I can't tell you exactly why I've chosen Java. Only time will tell if I made the right choice. I can't really see myself taking Spirulina or other pills since I can't say I have tiredness syndrome. Some proper rest (staying home a little bit) will be enough. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete