Thursday 17 December 2009

I blame the iphone…


I knew that there was some talk (behind my back) at my office about me being gay. I never openly discussed about it to anyone (it wasn’t their concern anyway) but I didn’t try to hide it either.

There was a new employee in the company, so me and ‘gb’ (my other gay colleague) took him out to the pub a couple of times to make him feel welcome. Most of these nights ended with us getting drunk, having a very nice time and laughing our hearts out. I can’t remember exactly what was being discussed but I know that at that time I was having problems with ‘L’ so it could be the case that I did mention him.

That new employee at another time in the pub, when I was not there, asked my manager (yes MY manager) if I was gay (very subtle – I know). I know that he avoided to answer the question saying that he doesn’t know / doesn’t care / never tried to find out but was sure that ‘gb’ is gay. So, the can of worms opened and other discussions followed…

A couple of weeks later, ‘gb’ as a trendy gay boy of our time bought a new iphone and immediately fell in love with it. He carried around it everywhere showing it off to everyone. So, the following Friday at the pub, the new iphone was a topic of discussion. One of the junior programmers wanted to play with it, so he started checking its applications, being curious about them and opening a few…

If you cannot see where that is going I will give you a hint: ‘Grindr’!
Of course ‘gb’ had downloaded the application (he is gay after all).
Most of the guys already heard about it since it was mentioned in ‘Top Gear’. The moments that followed were so surreal, I cannot even begin to comprehend them. My manager, the junior programmer and some other male and very straight colleague were trying to check people out on ‘Grindr’ and set ‘gb’ up with them!

It was simply hilarious!!!! The comments that they were making were to die for. They were talking about things like people’s abs or cock sizes… After we stopped pissing ourselves laughing we had the discussion about gay mentality, their (possible) obsession with gym / cosmetics / taking care of themselves / sex cruising and everything was simply in the open…

That’s my coming out story to my company. I don’t believe it’s very conventional (or intentional) but it was very funny. Now, most of the people know that me and ‘gb’ are gay but it was never an issue. The next chapter of that story is how ‘D’ (guy I was dating) came to meet us at the pub and how my manager was buying us drinks…

4 comments:

  1. Grindr is the reason why I'm buying an iPhone over a Droid. I don't even want random hookups; I just want to show off the app to friends, lol.

    And the next bit sounds like quite a moment...

    This sounds a lot like when I came out to a half-dozen or so managers and co-workers at a happy hour earlier this year... they talked me into doing shots at a gay bar downtown. I woke up the next morning fully-dressed on my bed, with the lights on (shoes still on), and ran a meeting hung over from my cell phone. I noticed a couple of hours later when I finally got cleaned up that I had a red welt down the middle of my forehead. I don't remember getting it, lol. I sincerely hope its from my watch. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah darling

    its not the end of the world for you. Personally i think corporate company are far better in accepting their gay staff.

    Being in education industries for all my life, i have experience worst scenario, where you may get expelled within 24 hours notice or far worst the subject of humiliation among colleague or students; homophobia in education industries are very upsetting for both student and staff.

    i adore your colleague for being open mindlessly. Surely you wont feel sad for bad bonuses and increment! after all you have a lovely office to live with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding the nearest Homo to you?
    There's an app for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @GJ Just because EVERYBODY's getting an iphone I'll try to ignore it for as long as possible. I know at some time I'll break, but I'm trying to stand my ground for as long as I can...

    @Suf n Steve. That sounds awful, regarding the educational industry. No, my company's been really nice when it comes to those things. I really do like the environment here, even if I do bitch about the pays...

    @StevieB There's an app for everything...

    ReplyDelete